Leroy Evans Jr. Profile Photo

Leroy Evans Jr.

October 28, 1932 — December 14, 2021

Leroy Evans Jr.

Native son, LeRoy Evans, Jr., of Mt. Pleasant, SC, passed away at his home in Bishop, TX on December 14, 2021 at the age of 89. He was the son of the late LeRoy, Sr. and Geneva (Ellis) Evans. He attended schools in Charleston County and was graduated valedictorian from Laing High School in 1951, a year after the U. S. entered the Korean War (June 25, 1950). To avoid being drafted, he enlisted in the United States Air Force on May 22, 1951. Upon successful completion of all the prerequisites, he was well on his way to an illustrious 26 year career serving his country as a highly skilled clerk typist. From there, he earned accommodations and quickly advanced through the ranks. Upon promotion, he transitioned to Organization and Methods Examiner and eventually Manpower Management (Technician & Supervisor) until his retirement as a Master Sargent. However, he was not ready to settle down. He continued to work in Manpower Management as a civilian and completed his education, earning his Master’s degree from Texas A & M University Kingsville. His civil service career lasted a span of nearly 20 years, which ended with his having achieved his “dream” job at Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX and the rank of GS 13.

His greatest accomplishment, however, was more than his career. As he was advancing in his career, he continued to court his high school sweetheart, Julie. He had the good fortune of being stationed at Charleston AFB by the time she had finished high school and in 1956 they decided to “jump the broom.” From there they were joined to the hip and overtime became the parents of two sons with whom they traveled the world (Europe, Asia, and a few states). The family had been separated only once when Roy, as known by family and friends, was stationed in Thailand during the Viet-Nam war. To their good fortune, they remained at Charleston AFB for six years; this provided a good foundation for them to raise their two sons, who grew up knowing their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, as well as their cultural identity. This was not a common occurrence for many military dependents (B.R.A.T.S.). This was a purposeful decision Roy had made, for he had traded out many transfers solely for the purpose of keeping his family close to home. Decisions like this can be detrimental to a military career.

Roy wasn’t just all work and no play. Sports played a major role in his life. In his high school days, he played on his school team. The story was that he was an excellent basketball player and was offered a college scholarship but turned it down because he felt that his short stature would not make for a successful career. Nonetheless, he enjoyed being a sideliner and became a youth Pony League baseball coach while stationed at Eglin AFB. Reading was another one of his passions, but not the typical fiction or non-fiction. Oddly, he liked to read and write legal briefs. Public speaking was another one of his passions. He had been a member of Toast Masters for several years while stationed at Langley Field, Hampton, VA and Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX. Eventually, he put his speaking skills to good use; he earned his Bachelors of Theology and eventually became an ordain minister, earning the title of Reverend. He served at King Star Baptist Church in Kingsville, TX and later at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Sugar Land, TX.

From having served in the military, Roy had the typical stoic exterior. However, to have judged this “book by its cover,” you would have been wrong. Roy had a heart for people. He would give you the shirt off his back. He participated in his community Big Brothers and Sisters mentoring programs because he believed that this was the best way to serve his community. Even as a young man, he had taken on the responsibility of mentoring his younger siblings and the other kids in his neighborhood. His

moto was, “Education is important.” In later years, this attitude of community service led him to service as an elected city councilman for the city of Bishop.

His grand and great grandchildren were his greatest joy though. In his last days, he was, for the most part, catatonic. On the Sunday before his passing, it was his elder son’s birthday. Two of his grandsons and four of his great grandchildren from out of town had come to celebrate his son’s birthday and visit with their ailing grandfather. Once they had arrived, everyone gathered beside Roy’s bed to greet him with a hug or kiss. His son whispered in to his ears, “Daddy, can you hear me? Somebody is here to see you.” Everyone started calling out to him. In spite of his profound deafness, he responded with eyes wide open and arms stretched out as if waving “Hi!” He even tried to speak. He was “over the moon.” His eyes were not just opened, but he was responding to all of the visual stimulation. He remained responsive and cognizant for several minutes. We had a miracle! His grand and great grandchildren, his joy, give him life again, even if it were for just a few short hours. To see life in his eyes was the greatest gift.

After 63 years of marriage, Roy was preceded in death by his wife Julie Smith Evans; also preceded by his father LeRoy Evans, Sr.; his mother Geneva Ellis Evans, and siblings Eleanora Evans Singleton and Alvin Evans.

He is survived by his two sons, Le Roy “Trey” Evans III of Bishop, TX and Dwight (Lisa) Evans of Phoenix, AZ; two nieces he raised as daughters Angelin O. Smith of Awendaw, SC and Felicia (Marlowe) Lofton of Austin, TX; a nephew he raised as a son Wendell (Ida) Evans of New Bern, NC; five sisters, Vernell Jenkins, of Mt. Pleasant, SC, Marguerite Grimes of Charleston, SC, Astocha Evans of Daniel Island, SC, Ruby (Ernesto) Santos de Jesus of Clinton, MD, and Evelyn Evans of Mt. Pleasant, SC; 5 grandchildren Marcus (Leta) Evans, Justin (Amanda) Evans, Westley (Griselle) Evans, Philip (Sophie) Evans and Janae Evans, and 9 great grandchildren, Margaux, Justin Jr., Jordan, Mayra, Miranda, Maliyah, Edison, Miliana, and Lincoln; and a host of cousins and friends.

Visitation will be held from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, January 7, 2021, at Turcotte-Piper Mortuary. Funeral service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 8, 2021, at Turcotte-Piper Mortuary.

Services are entrusted to Turcotte-Piper Mortuary, 205 General Cavazos Blvd. Kingsville, Texas 78363.

To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Leroy Evans Jr., please visit our flower store.

Past Services


Friday, January 7, 2022

5:00 - 8:00 pm (Central time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.

Funeral Service

Saturday, January 8, 2022

Starts at 1:00 pm (Central time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Visits: 26

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree